Thursday, July 10, 2014

Interview with Vivian Winslow

Hello readers,

I have a very interesting interview with the author of the Gilded Lily series, Vivian Winslow. But first, a little about the series itself. 

Book One


Book Blurb:
After catching her fiancĂ© Jack in bed with her sister the day before her wedding, New York socialite Lily Baron escapes to Rio, her honeymoon destination—alone. There, Marcelo, the dark and sexy hotel masseur, releases a heated passion Lily had never experienced with Jack. When Lily meets handsome and powerful Brazillionaire Gustavo de Lima, she can hardly resist him. There’s just one problem. He’s married. In this uber-sensual city, will Lily’s reluctance to be with a married man, in light of her own fiancĂ©’s betrayal, give way to her burning desire for Gustavo?


Book Two


Book Blurb:
After a romantic getaway with her Brazillionaire lover Gustavo de Lima is interrupted by his wife, New York socialite Lily Baron rushes back to New York upon hearing the news that her father has fallen ill. Now, Lily must take the helm of the Baron Media empire and protect the company from a hostile takeover attempt. But will Lily herself be able to resist the unwanted suitor?

Book Three

Book Blurb:
Weary from battling a hostile takeover attempt of her family’s company, Lily seeks a distraction in Todd, an erstwhile bartender with a large trust fund and magical mouth. Meanwhile, a connection seems to be developing between Lily and Alejandro, a wealthy and gorgeous Cuban-American, whose brother, Rodrigo, is dating Lily’s twin sister, Dahlia. When Alejandro unexpectedly rebuffs Lily one night, she is deeply dismayed.  But, after seeing Alejandro’s picture with a gorgeous Latina model in the gossip pages, Lily thinks it wasn’t just a misunderstanding. When the sisters and brothers reunite in Aspen for a ski weekend, will Lily’s heart remain frozen or will the fire between her and Alejandro rekindle and melt away the ice?

Interview with Vivian Winslow:

Could you please tell us a little about yourself?

I’m a stay-at-home mom with two elementary school-aged children and a husband, living in New York City. My husband’s job took us all around the world for most of the last decade. New York is where we met, so it seems appropriate that we ended up back here after all these years.
What was the inspiration behind The Gilded Flower series?
I’ve written a few novels but never in the romance genre. A friend suggested that I try my hand at it since it’s her preferred style of writing to read. She and I hashed out a storyline one afternoon, and Gilded Lily was born. It was such a fun book to write. The women are smart, capable and strong, but love men and enjoy relationships—and lots of sex—with them as well. I didn’t anticipate it turning into a series, but the story lent itself to that so the subsequent books just unfolded from there. What’s really fun about the Lily series is that many of the cities she visits are places I’ve lived or visited. It’s great to be able to incorporate my experiences into these books.

Do you prefer to write hot and spicy stories?

I do. There’s an incredible freedom in writing erotic romance. It allows me to take my characters to their limits and not gloss over what is a natural and very feminine experience.
What is the most rewarding aspect of becoming an author?
That I can set my own hours. As any parent knows, raising children is a demanding job. I get to indulge in my passion for writing whenever I find the opportunity.

Are you planning on expanding your horizons by exploring other genres?

Most certainly. Young Adult and women’s fiction are what I’ve written before. But it’s difficult to think about those right now. I’m too into The Gilded Flower series and seeing where these women will go next.
What can readers expect from Vivian in the next five years?
Definitely an extension of The Gilded Flower series. I’m open to any fan requests as to which characters’ stories they would like to read about. Perhaps it’s Rosa, the sister of Dahlia’s love interest, or maybe one of the male characters from the book, like Todd. I have a feeling there are a few readers who would like to get more of his story.
Also, I have a backlog of story ideas from my friends who want erotic stories written for and/or about them. One is about a rock star. That should be fun!

Are there any plans to start another series?

If I do, I’m not sure if it will be in romance. Most likely Young Adult. But it’s hard to stay away from sex right now. J
If so, will it have erotic elements also?
No erotic in Young Adult, but it will probably have some sex. I think it’s a crucial aspect in anyone’s coming-of-age story.

Would you ever consider co-writing with another author? If so, what kind of story would you like to venture in?

Not at this time. It’s not easy to find someone whose style is perfectly compatible. That said, I am considering writing with a man in the future. I think it would be great for more men to write their perspectives in the erotic romance genre. Currently, writing a man’s point of view is more women assuming or projecting what they think a man should think or do in a situation.

How do you start every manuscript?

With a vague of idea of the plot. I think about the character first and foremost and what her conflict will be. Once I’ve connected with it, then the story begins to unfold. Novellas are very different from writing novels. I enjoy it because it forces me to let go of the crutches and repetition that tends to happen in novels. You’re forced to take the characters for who they are, drop into the story, so-to-speak and watch what goes from there; and it happens rapidly. There’s incredible satisfaction in that.

Do you organize each of your ideas?

Not really. I’ve been encouraged to outline my thoughts, but I’m terrible at it. It never works because I end up going in different directions.
Is there a specific regimen you follow through in order to begin writing?
Absolutely. Once I get my kids off to school, I come home, take care of some things around the house, then I sit down and write. Usually I talk to my friend and we talk about where the book may go that day. She’d probably tell you that the majority of the time it rarely goes the way we discuss it. But our talks help me frame the general story and character development. It’s the latter that I find most important. In this genre, especially, characters make the stories. They are who the reader will connect with most.

When is your next work due to be released?

Book 3 in The Gilded Flower series, Tiger Lily, is due to be released July 20th. I’m very excited about this one. I have to admit it’s my favorite of the three Lily stories. I came to appreciate how much she grew through the books and was happy to figure out her happily-ever-after. And to all the readers, I didn’t figure it out until mid-way through the book. I’m truly sorry if it wasn’t the one you expected. Once the series is complete, I’ll share my insights a bit more. It seems my characters end up with people I don’t even anticipate.
At the end of Tiger Lily is a glimpse of the next book in the series entitled, Blue Dahlia, which is about Lily’s twin sister, Dahlia, who is a lot more impulsive and full of angst. While Lily’s series follows her sexual awakening, Dahlia’s series will be more about her emotional awakening. But, of course, there will be hot men and even hotter sex. That’s a promise! I’m planning the release of the first book in the Dahlia series for early October.

Is there anything else you’d like to share about yourself?

I love going to the movies by myself. Of course it’s fun with a friend. But there’s something incredibly therapeutic about sitting in a dark room by myself, completely engrossed in a story that I find blissful.
Where can the readers find more information about you?
They can connect with me through various social media. I will try to get better about updating and posting to Facebook and Goodreads more regularly. I just write whenever I have free time.



No comments:

Post a Comment